Last Updated on January 5, 2015
Mold removal is something that is not as easy as it sounds. It takes something more than a bathroom cleaner or bleach to clean the infected area from this wrath. The worst part about household mold is that it is not only limited to bathroom and basements. It can also grow inside the walls, in crawl spaces, in the attic, inside ductwork and even under your carpets. Sometimes, it becomes a challenging task to find mold and then safely remove it. Therefore it is highly important that you take all the precautionary steps to keep your home safe from mold. There are many people who talk about the costs related to mold removal. If you take necessary steps, it is a fact that you can easily save yourself a lot of money. No doubt, mold removal is difficult, time consuming and above all costly.
Why mold prevention is important
Household mold can lead to a number of health problems in the individuals. The most common ones include pain in the joints, inflammation, digestive problems, fatigue, depression, rashes, pneumonia and asthma. Nobody can deny the fact that excessive mold growth can actually eat the entire structure of the house which no doubt is an extensive damage. Therefore, it is important to take all necessary steps that can prevent the growth of mold in your house. It is quite easier to keep yourself well protected from this problem rather than to remove it at a later stage.
How you can prevent mold growth in your home
A rule of thumb to prevent mold growth is to control the moisture level in your home. If there is not excessive moisture in your home, mold will fail to grow. The experts are of the view that the humidity level of the home should not exceed fifty five percent. You can check the humidity level in your home with the help of a hygrometer.
You must get a thorough check up of your home so that the professional can identify whether there are any issues that may result in mold growth. In case some problems are identified, it is your foremost responsibility to rectify them at your earliest. If you have no idea how to make the required repair, you can easily call a professional to do the job for you. It will be better making the repairs because you will surely be saving money in the long run which you might otherwise be spending on health issues, mold removal expenses and home repair. Here are some common issues that you can easily pay attention at your own:
• Window frames must be given special attention. You can check around all the frames and see whether they are properly sealed or not. You need to eliminate the possibility of water seeping in from the windows.
• When it comes to bathroom, closely analyze all around tubs, toilets and sinks for any sign of water leakage. It is better if you install water leak sensors in such areas. They make the homeowners alert when there is any sign of early leakage.
• Hot water heaters are also a favorite place of mold to infest. You can also install water leak sensor that is readily available in the market these days.
• Leaky roofs must be repaired as soon as possible. It is important that you keep examining your ceilings for any sign of leakage. This becomes highly pivotal if you are living in an old house. Sometimes, people cannot see signs of leakage from inside the house even if the problem has aggravated a lot. If you have no idea how to thoroughly inspect the roof, it is better to seek professional’s assistance.
• Bathrooms must always have sufficient ventilation system so that they do not remain moist. This is important when you are taking shower. If you feel that your room becomes quite steamy when you take shower, you can easily turn on the exhaust fan. Opening a window can meet the target as well. If there is no exhaust fan in your bathroom, install one right now.
• Sniff test works best for the basements. If you feel a musty odor in the basement, you must not ignore this. There is a high chance that mold is present in your basement. If you feel or smell that the basement is damp, you can install a dehumidifier that is easily available. This can solve the problem to some extent.
• Sniff test is ideal for the attics as well. There is a high chance that mold is present in your attic if there have been any sort of leaks in your roof in the past. You can purchase a hygrometer from the market and use it to measure the humidity level of the attic frequently. There are some hygrometers that have portable sensors. You can purchase that one and keep it in your attic. It transmits the humidity level to the main unit making it easier for your monitor the humidity level of your attic in a hassle-free manner.