Last Updated on November 29, 2022
No of Mold remediation levels – 5 (five)
Generally, the experts divide mold remediation under five broad levels.
The level one is considered as the least contaminated one while the fourth level is the most contaminated level.
Level five is about air conditioning systems and HVAC.
The worst thing about mold attack is that the home owner finds it difficult to determine the right time when the help of a mold specialist is needed. He is also unaware of the things he can take care of himself when mold attacks his home.
Are you one of those who want to find out how many levels of mold remediation are there? Are you unaware of mold removal techniques? you will find the following guidelines useful.
Level 1 Mold Remediation (Ten square feet or less)
Level one comprises of small infestations that are usually found on the ceilings and at time on baseboards. Level one mold can be easily cleared without any professional’s help. However, there are some precautionary steps that are important to take. The steps are:
• If you are an asthmatic patient, you must never make an attempt to clean mold at your own. The same rule is for those who have some sort of allergies or immune disorders.
• It is highly important to wear eye protections, gloves and N95 disposable respirator.
• When cleaning mold from a specific area, you must ensure that are there are not any infants around you who are less than twelve months old. Similarly, people who are recovering from a surgery must also stay away from the infected area. If you have a chronic lungs disease, you must also stay away.
• The contaminated materials that is hard to clean must be removed from your home. It is better if you put them in a sealed plastic bag before you discard them. This will prevent infestation in other parts of your house.
• Thoroughly clean the work area with a damp cloth or with a mop once you are done.
• Ensure that all areas are left dry and visibly free of mold contamination.
Level 2 Mold Remediation (Ten to thirty square feet)
If you have one wall panel that has been attacked by mold, then it falls under the category of level two. Apart from the same precautionary measures discussed in level one, here are some more to be taken:
• Prior to handling and removal of materials, mold material must be properly covered with plastic sheets and then sealed with tape. This will contain debris and dust. It is highly recommended to double wrap before you take the moldy material from your home.
• Once you are done with mold removal, you must vacuum the area with a powerful vacuum cleaner. Afterwards, clean the area with a mop or with a damp cloth.
Level 3 Mold Remediation (Thirty to hundred square feet)
Mold contamination to this extent is a bit serious matter. However, same precautionary measures are to be taken that are required for level one and level two mold attack. Apart from those, you must pay attention to the following:
• Make sure you seal ventilation grills and ducts in the work area. The areas adjacent to the infected area must be sealed with plastic sheeting.
• Nobody should be allowed to enter the area till the time work is completed. If there are any infants, make sure they do not even come to the adjacent areas. Same rule goes for the people who are allergic, or have some lungs infection.
Level 4 Mold Remediation (Greater than hundred square feet)
If the infestation is more than hundred square feet then you need to seek professional’s help. There are still some people who feel that they can control this level of infestation at their own and there is no need to call a mold remediation specialist. In case you are treating the mold issue at your own, it is important that you follow the guidelines mention above along with some of the following:
• You need to be well trained in the handling of hazardous materials. Furthermore, you must wear full respirators with high efficiency particulate air (HEPA). You can use a disposable piece of cloth for covering your shoes and head.
• The work area must be completely isolated from the rest of the house. All types of drills/ducts, fixtures and other types of opening must be properly sealed with sheets and duct tape.
• Proper air monitoring is required before you moved back in your house. This will let you know whether you are safe from mold or not.
Level 5 Mold Remediation (HVAC systems and air conditioners)
If you see a small area being affected by mold under your air conditioners it is better if you apply all the precautionary measures from level one and level two. The problem of mold contaminating will sorted out to some extent. However, it is better if you seek professional help for mold remediation.