Bathroom mold is quite common and appears for several reasons, but before you spend any money hiring a Certified Mold Inspector, you may want to understand what you can safely clean or remove on your own, and when you require a professional mold removal company.
In most cases, surface mold can be cleaned without the help of a mold removal professional and without affecting your indoor air quality.
Surface mold is often found where there is poor ventilation causing high-humidity. When the steam from a hot shower becomes trapped, the moisture combined with organic materials (wood/body oils/soap/dirt) create the perfect environment for mold to grow. If the surface is structurally sound – grout and tiles are not cracked, drywall and baseboards are solid – the surface mold can be scrubbed and disinfected with a strong household cleaner (vinegar, bleach or baking soda)
The key to mold removal is to get rid of the mold, but also get rid of the cause of the mold so it does not come back. Try these tips to avoid the return of surface mold in your bathroom:
- Make sure the bathroom fan is functioning as intended and leave it running for 30-60 minutes after a shower
- Open a window to allow steam (moisture) to escape after a shower
- Secure the shower curtain to avoid any overspray during showers
- Dry all condensation and pooled water immediately
- Thoroughly clean all surfaces regularly, including grout and behind the toilet.
- Replace caulking when it begins to discolour and can no longer be cleaned.
- Fill any cracks in grout before water can get behind the wall
- Paint with a mold and mildew resistant type paint (every 5 years) including the ceiling.
It’s time to call a mold removal service, like The Mold Guy, if you experience the following issues:
- Soft, wet material in the bathroom
- Sink leak behind the counter top/vanity
- Grout/Tiles/caulking cracked allowing water to leak behind the shower wall
- Toilet leak
- Discolouration of baseboards and drywall (that returns despite following the tips provided)
- Flooring lifted or bubbling
If you are ever unsure that you need a Mold Inspection or Indoor Air Quality Test, give The Mold Guy a call.
- The Mold Guy “taking the mystery out of mold”
Did you find this helpful? Feel free to let us know!