A Mold Professional is waiting for your call, not an answering service
Servicing Toronto & the surrounding GTA

Understanding The Need To Remove Indoor Mold


Understanding The Need To Remove Indoor Mold

Last Updated on March 31, 2015

Indoor mold comes in a lot of variety and surprisingly most of the types are often neglected by homeowners. Mold is considered to be the prime source of various health issues like allergies and asthma attack. This is the reason why getting mold removal by highly qualified staff becomes essential.

Health issues caused by indoor mold


When mold cells are breathed in and invade the respiratory tract, the body’s immune system makes an attempt to destroy the mold just like they fight a flu virus. This could lead to runny nose, scratchy throat, headaches, allergic rhinitis and sneezing etc.

The lung disease asthma is a problem when the airways carrying oxygen to the lungs are partially close. This problem can get worse by the indoor mold. It was found that more than half of asthmatics have reported respiratory allergies. It must be realized that if one inhales mold, it can actually trigger asthma episodes if the patient is highly sensitive.

Respiratory infection is also very common because of mold. This happens when live mold occupies the tissues of the lungs or the respiratory tract. If you inhale or ingest large dose of certain type mold, it can lead to poisoning due to the toxins contained in the mold cells.

Most common types of indoor molds

Mold can be broadly categorized in three groups namely, allergenic, pathogenic and toxigenic. Each of the types is known for its own side effect. Allergenic mold is known to cause different types of allergic reactions. Similarly, the pathogenic mold is a matter of concern for those who have weak immune systems. Furthermore, the toxigenic mold is considered to be dangerous for all. There are two recognizable molds that can cause serious health issues among individuals. They are:

• Green molds (penicillium/aspergilus)

This mold has almost one hundred and eighty five types and is known for causing different types of allergies and a serious infection known as Aspergillosis that is found in sinuses, nose, eyes, ears, lungs and even brain. Aspergillosis is primarily caused by inhaling the spores of green mold. Just like all types of molds, green mold is formed when the areas is exposed to moisture for a long time.

• Black molds

Black mold also known as Stachybotryls is considered to be the most dreaded type of mold. It grows rapidly in the wet carpet, wall paper, ceiling tiles and everywhere else. It is has a unique slimy touch feeling. Generally not all black mold is toxic. In order to be sure whether the mold you have in your home is toxic or not, you need to seek help from qualified professionals. Professional testing is done by using the state of the art equipment and protective clothing. Once the mold presence is diagnosed, it must be removed by the professionals as well.

What comprise of the mold removal process?

The experts claim that the only way to get rid of mold on permanent basis is to control moisture level. Mold spores cannot grow when there is no moisture. Therefore if you feel that you have some moisture issue either in your office or in your home, you must get rid of mold in the first place and then fix the water issue. Otherwise, it will not take much time for the mold to attack your premises again.

Mold remediation is a rigorous process of cleanup and removal of mold from the indoors. At first the professionals examine the area thoroughly and mark the areas where mold is present. They also check the type of mold that might be present and also what level of remediation will be required. The assessment is carried out by lifting or moving carpets and moving the furniture. The area behind the wallpaper is also checked. Under some situation, the walls are also opened for the checkup. This is quite frustrating for the home owner, but there is absolutely no way out.

Sometimes when the residents of the home or the workers in the office are experiencing some health issues or show some symptoms of illness, professionals are called for the sampling of the mold spores. The prime reason of the inspection is to get a clear picture of the areas that are affected and how badly they are affected.

There are some people who believe that they can get rid of mold themselves and take is as a merely DIY activity. Mold can only be removed by the home owner if it has not spread to an extensive level. Therefore, it is always better to leave this job to the professionals. Some people make an attempt for removing mold with bleach. When doing so, it is highly important that you wear protective clothing and a respirator. Professionals have high-tech equipment with them that include:

• Dry icing blasting

• HEPA filtered vacuum

• Humidity gauge

• Moisture meter

• Borescope (this is used to check potential mold problems inside walls without causing any damage to them.)

If you want a reliable team to help you remove indoor molds today, don’t hesitate to contact us. We are ready to eliminate any mold problems that you may have.