Last Updated on September 1, 2014
There is a danger that lurks within the homes of so many people these days. This danger comes in the name of asbestos. Asbestos is the collective name for a group of minerals that have thin microscopic fibers. It is commonly used to make construction materials, which comprises so many homes nowadays. Asbestos is a danger because they are very dangerous to one’s health. In fact, so many people have already died due to long-term asbestos exposure.
Health symptoms of exposure to asbestos
How will you know that there is asbestos in your home? Well, you can always be on the lookout for the following symptoms:
• Abnormality in breathing – Is there abnormality in your breathing? Whenever you breathe, do you hear wheezing sounds? Wheezing as well as other things that complicate your breathing including frequent coughing and shortness of breath are all symptoms of asbestos-related diseases. Asbestos is powerful enough to scar the tissues of the lungs and this scarring is the main cause why victims suffer from breathing abnormalities. If you frequently have a hard time breathing and you live in an old home, then visit a doctor as soon as possible.
• Throat complications – Aside from your breathing, you should also be conscious about your throat health. Do you feel throat pain every time you swallow something hard? Do you feel pain at random times within the day? Your throat might have been damaged by asbestos already. Even if you do not feel anything strange with your throat, asbestos exposure can still put you at risk of throat cancer. So this means that just because you do not feel anything bad, does not mean you are automatically safe from asbestos complications.
Who is at risk?
As mentioned earlier, asbestos has been used for construction materials. If you live in a very old house, there is a big chance that the materials used to construct it have asbestos content. Remember that the effect of asbestos can vary greatly depending on what age the person is when he was first exposed to asbestos as well as how long he has been exposed to asbestos.
Asbestos can be considered as a very dangerous killer. One of the reasons for this is that it is resistant to fire, heat, and electricity. Because of this invulnerability, asbestos is a tough thing to eliminate from homes. They can be in your home for decades unless they are removed. Also, it takes a very long time for their effects to appear obvious. So this means that you can be affected by asbestos already and you do not even know it. Asbestos is related with so many cancers and medical conditions that it is encouraged of every people to have their homes checked for asbestos presence.
If you want nothing but the safety of your family, you might want to contact The Mold Guy. We at The Mold Guy use high quality and state-of-the-art equipment in making sure that our clients’ homes are asbestos free. For an affordable rate, we can make sure the safety and the cleanliness of your indoor air. Aside from asbestos removal, we specialize in mold and mildew removal as well. Contact us now.